It’s that time of year again – winter in St. Louis! Whether you decide to use these ideas tomorrow, or file them away for the next white weekend, check out these 16 ideas for serving your community during a snowstorm. Got an idea to add to the list? Post it on our facebook page!
Whatever you decide to do, please be sure to do it safely and with good judgement. After all, it can be slick out there!
1. Offer to take an elderly neighbor to the store to stock up on winter supplies/groceries, or have your neighbor make a list for you to pick up while you’re out.
2. Shovel your neighbor’s walkway. Or, get your exercise in for the day and do the whole block!
3. Put salt down on someone’s steps and that neglected bit of sidewalk between houses.
4. If others lose power, offer your house or car as a location for cell phone/laptop charging.
5. Invite neighborhood kids/families to a snow fight.
6. Create a hot chocolate stand outside your house!
7. Offer to help someone scrape the ice off their car or scrape others’ cars when you do yours in the morning/after work.
8. Send thank you notes to police, firefighters, road crews, etc.
9. Order a PIZZA for your local police, fire station, or road crew!
10. Carry extra winter supplies in your car to assist distressed motorists.
11. Contact local emergency shelters to learn how you can support their efforts.
12. Offer hand-warmers to people standing at bus stops or outside.
13. If your kids are home from school, help them to write appreciation notes to their teacher.
14. Offer to watch your friend/neighbor’s kids while they run out for groceries or during their work hours.
15. If a friend/neighbor has mobility issues, offer to walk the neighbor’s dogs – or better yet, keep your kids occupied and have them offer to walk the neighbor’s dog!
16. Share or post the locations of heating stations in your area on your social media pages or in your office.